Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thanks to the Mil Supporters everywhere

I want to wish everyone a belated Happy New Year. We all were very busy on New Years Eve Day, and weren't quite sure we would RTB in time to actually count-down the New Year, but in the end we did. MTF.

What I really want to post is this e-mail from a friend of mine, to Hope of Hoperadio, who is a great supporter of several deployed units. I am guessing that out of humility Hope won't post it, but I want all the great milsupporters out there to get to read this. I could never say thank you better than this:

Dear Hope.
I am a friend of SGT Grumpy and as a such have been a recipient of your generosity. you and people like you, are the reason why we do our job.

There is much said about the brotherhood of war. "we do our job because of the soldier next to us." this is true, we perform above and beyond the call because we are surrounded by those we have come to consider family. but the reason we join the military is protect our country and our way of life.

there have been times in the past several years when i have come to doubt that Americans appreciate our sacrifice. everywhere there are stickers claiming "support our troops" but that seems to be the extent of it. YOU have revitalized my faith and (dare i say) hope in what we do and why we do it.

when i returned from Afghanistan in CENSOR i was asked to address the incoming class at CENSOR State University because the schools donations in support of our mission. my speech was centered on "service." How the actions of those not in the military can contribute to our success, from the family members who pack and move often to the people who donate to humanitarian causes set up by soldiers. i would like to add to this list. You have also served our country by actively and directly supporting us, the nations military. it is not just the comfort items that you have sent, it is the sentiment and warmth behind it. to know that there are people who are willing to do more than place a sticker on there car is a HUGE moral boost and i thank you and all like you.

please share these sentiments with everyone who, like you has restored an old soldiers faith.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You are right, Grump. In a way it just didn't seem right to post this on my blog, but I did post the letter on this link so that those milsupporters who aren't as lucky to have received words such as these might be able to in this way.

There is no better reward for the love and concern we have for you and yours than hearing we have made some small difference in your lives for you all make such great differences in ours.
http://adoptaplatoon.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2616&sid=111dc805a6059b4acbc702a6d791d9eb

CI-Roller Dude said...

Grumpy,
I know without the support I got from family, friends and people I had never even seen...my vacation in Iraq would have sucked even more. Every pack that came was like Christmas (or Ramadan)
The folks back in the US who do this are the HEROS in my book... and I know what HEROS are, because I worked with a few....

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 01/03/2008 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.

Anonymous said...

I read you thoughts and experiences with awe and admiration. You guys are amazing.Your integrity and devotion to one another is inspiring. You truely are heros, and I've also know a few. John 82nd ABN 1970-1973