Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Words from the past

I don't know much about the debates in Washington, but I know more about the fighting in Basrah than anyone other than the men in my unit. And whatever the "truth" may be, I can say that I have completely changed my view on this occupation. while there are a great many wonderful Iraqis, many partiotic men whom I have fought side by side with, what has happened in Basrah is ..... a debacle? No not sure what the words are. Embarassing for sure.
But that is not the point of this post. I want to thank my Mom for sending me something my Grandfather carried with him during WWII. From his mother, I'll bet she never imagined her great grandson would be carrying it through IED attacks, rocket and mortar attacks, and ambushes in Iraq. But I am grateful to have it, for while I am not all that religious, I have prayed a great deal here, especially during the Battle o' Basrah and the trip "home". And I have never been without this card.

My Grandfather has always been my hero, what I aspire to be as a man. That I carry the same "stella matutina" he did at War is a greater honor than being here is. On the back are the words of my great-grandmother

I pray for your safety every day. I hope God takes care of you and all the boys. Mom.
All I have left to do here is get the hell outta here.

5 comments:

CI-Roller Dude said...

SGT Grumpy.... Now you know.
We don't fight for a party, we don't fight for even our country or our Army....we fight for the guy standing next to us so we all can make it home....
I had one rule in Iraq: NOBODY ON MY TEAM COULD GET HURT!
If the did, I told them I'd kick their ass.

CI Roller Dude.

Blue Dude in a Red State said...

I'm not all that religious either, but the praying I do is mostly for you. We think of you guys every day.

Anonymous said...

Grump-

I hope you know how much we do pray for and think of you all. In our own civlian way we do what we can to support you and yet,know that we can never really fathom or identify enough to be more than awkward support. Still, that support you have 120% until you say otherwise.

We send all the light we can to you and yours.

Hope, family and friends.

Nixon said...

P4 suggested that the Iraqi side of the Basrah planning was a bit, shall we say, haphazard. Keep your head down, as I'm trying to do the same in the IZ. I'm with you on getting the hell out of here. Are you pretty short?

Sergeant Grumpy said...

LT, short, short, short. To say the planning was haphazard imples that planning was conducted. Hmm.

Dude, Hope - thanks

"D" - yup