Sunday, April 27, 2008

Yes, we are rude pricks

We were riding around the other day, touring our new home and looking at all of Saddam's old Palaces. We would stop and like a bunch of tourist get out and take pictures. At one point we (apparently) walked right into the yard of a bunch of Soldiers who live in one of the little houses on the water. Every building of the former regime has been converted into living quarters or offices, or headquarters complex. Anyway, the Soldiers living there came out to see what the hell we were doing. "R", ever the smart ass says:

Oh, don't worry, we're just taking pictures, we've actually been in Iraq for our deployment, we've never seen this shit.
I hadn't really thought about it before, but we practically lived outside the wire, we worked with Iraqis a lot, drove around, talked to locals, ate outside the chow-hall (okay, kitchen, we didn't have a chow hall). It was dirty and smelly and a little dangerous a few times, but it was real. I can't imagine what doing 12 to 15 months of living on one of these huge bases, looking a t-walls and dust must do to your mental state. I've only been here a week-ish and I am depressed. You would spend a year plus here, and really know nothing about Iraq except it is hot in the summer, and people shoot rockets and mortars at you.

(if you can tell which Palace I decided to post, I'll buy you a beer...unless I don't like you)

6 comments:

CI-Roller Dude said...

Grumpy,
When I wasn't flying or driving all over Iraq to do my "mess kit repair" work,
I actually got to live in one of the nice duplexs at Campy "S" in Gagdad. PX, hot chow, showers, internet, AC, We had it all...which made up for the times I had 3 liters of water a day to drink, shave and clean my ass with.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Isn't this the Vicotry over America palace or do they call all of them that-- lol? If it is, you don't have to buy me a beer. I can't stand the stuff, though a nice Llano Estacado zinfandel would work...well or a Jack and Seven. Given the morning I am having...SEVERAL Jacks and and one seven...

CI-Roller Dude said...

Grumpy,
this is one of the buildings I could see each day when I stepped out of my humble abode.
The cranes haven't moved since Dec 2004!!!

Good Iraqi work.
What a useless country and people.

PPTRANGER said...

Dude, it SUCKS.

Anonymous said...

Victory over America. It is crazy sitting here on Camp "V" I am glad I am always gone even though the first few hours back are always kinda nice...till some FOBit gives you shit...or you over here the pukes in the chow hall complain about there rifles when you ever so nicly ask them not to point them at you!