Monday, October 29, 2007

Iraqis reach out

This is a story that should get more coverage - I picked it up over at Michael Totten. It seems that an Iraqi unit decided to raise money to help the victims of the fires in California. Much more than the money involved, it says something about the Iraqis themselves and the bonds they have formed with the Americans they have worked with.

In a speech given during the presentation, Col. Abbass (the Iraqi commander) stated that he and the Iraqi soldiers were connected with the American people in many ways, and they will not forget the help that the American government has given the Iraqi people. Abbass was honored to participate by sending a simple fund of $1,000 to the American people in San Diego, to lower the suffering felt by the tragedy.
Soldiers in my unit had their families evacuated from their homes last week, so this touched them particularly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sgt. I am linking this one...this is the best thing I have heard in a week! Hoe things are quiet. I haven't heard from my Karmah boys in a week...internet is great for staying in touch and gut wrenching, too. lol You tell your Iraqi boys that there's a mama in Texas who is going to tell everyone she knows what they did for thos folks out in Cali. Hope you are getting some better sleep.

Bag Blog said...

That is a cool story and should get more coverage.

KA said...

wow, that was an absolutely great gesture... Mind if I link it?

Anonymous said...

I was similarly touched. Our daughter was evacuated also. She and her husband are now fine and back in their apartment but it was a little scary. I can't believe I would have never known if it weren't for reading your blog! Thanks, for all you do.

Angelisms said...

My sister in law, her daughters and her retired marine husband were evacuated for a short time. My brother and his wife live in Malibu and they had the fire close to them when it was started and were evacuated at 5:00 am on Sunday and had to send their teenage son to be with friends. Sadly, now California is waiting for the rains and then the mudslides to happen. It always does. Thanks for that and helping those people.