Thursday, December 6, 2007

Update: NSTR

Well, really not too much to report here. One day after the other of the same shit. Today was a little weird in that, while I guess it wasn't technically a sandstorm, the sky was filled with dust and looked alternately gray and orange, with the sun just a silver disk in the sky. Some random thoughts to bore you with:

  • We've got a media personality coming here, so we're going to have to get cleaned up, keep our uniforms clean and take him out on something or other so he has a story. More later.
  • Someone up high threw a fit that we are wearing DCUs instead of ACUs. Honestly, I could give a shit, but the fact they are worried about that when we aren't getting the support we need for our missions really pisses me of. (For the record, ACUs melt and stick to the skin when on fire, DCUs don't. That and the Iraqis we roll with wear DCUs, so we stand out less - which is good.)
  • I think Bill Gates is a terrorist - if it weren't for all these stupid fucking PowerPoint presentations we have to do, we might actually get out and fight this war. I swear there are whole classes of Officers who can't write a cogent fucking sentence, but can animate the shit out of Powerpoint with sound and swirling text and all the nonesense. These guys are intimidated by the written word and need everything to be "visual". As the best sales rep I ever knew told me, "these guys are all sizzle and no steak."
    "I must say I started to see more bad plans with good slides approved over good plans with no slides."
    - Robert Walsh
  • We are having a terrible time trying to get translators - If you are a Titan/L3 stockholder you should sell your stock, these idiots are giving up margin every single day by not filling our requests. We've even taken the step of finding the local terps, interviewing them, and recommending them - but the Titan/L3 managers won't get off their lazy asses to do the work to get us terps so we can push our Ops. If you are a Titan/L3 executive, e-mail me and I will lay the smack down on you!
  • There is a mosque in town with American, British, and Israeli flags painted on the ground, so all the followers of peaceful Islam can wipe their feet on the flags on the way in. I am thinking about getting a few copies of the Quran for the latrine.
  • Speaking of Israel, Iraq is a country run by rumor, these people will believe the most outlandish rumor before even considering the truth. People near our base are afraid that when we get mortared, the mortars will bounce off our forcefield and hit their house, that we have Israeli spies working in our kitchen, and Iraqi is messed up because our Blackhawks spray "stupid gas" on people. No, seriously.

Umm, what was I saying?

6 comments:

KA said...

Are you gonna be on TV, Sergeant?

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 12/08/2007 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention updated throughout the day…so check back often.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, Sergeant, what if the media personality is Geraldo???? ;-)

Sergeant Grumpy said...

I won't be on TV if I have any say in it, but there is a camera crew here.

PPTRANGER said...

ROTFLMAO

I think I just got another idea for a comic.

CI-Roller Dude said...

My Cat II linquist had to log on the internet to get paid while in Iraq. We were at some camps where internet was very very limited, plus my linquist was a 55 yr old guy who never used a computer before. I told Titan he couldn't log on to do his time card, and they tried to argue with me and tell me everyone had internet access in Iraq. I told the Titan guy to get off his ass and come to camp Gannon and see--we had no fucking running water either.