Saturday, November 3, 2007

Holding our collective breath

Three IEDs were found in the small city we operate out of today. What is significant about this is that all three were called in to the IPs by local citizens who noticed something out of place. The police handled each one, and although one blew up not far from our gate, no one was hurt.

Things could still go to hell here, but everyday there is a little more news that things may really be turning a corner. To paraphrase General Petraeus, we'll really only know long afterwards when and if that has happened. For now I am going hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

"Six months ago, I wouldn't dare be outside, not even to stand near the garden gate by the street. Killings had become routine. I stopped going to work, I was so afraid," he said, chatting with friends on a street in the neighborhood.
-40-year-old al-Azawi

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has to be tough for you guys - but, hearing that locals called and alerted the police in these incidents is a change for the better. Let's pray it continues and you all stay safe. You are in are thoughts.

Bag Blog said...

Sometimes I read milblogs which say that the Iraqis are still not very friendly or trusting. I am glad when I read that the Iraq citizens are being helpful - a real sign of progress.

KA said...

all good news. Please stay safe.

CI-Roller Dude said...

SGT Grumpy,
Did I tell you about the time in Husabya-- the locals got so tired of the insurshits messing up things, that they whould sneak up behind the insurgshits when they were ambushing the Marines and shoot the insurgshits in the back.
Your SFOR buddy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sgt,
I read so much about the good things that are going on there for you all and how much you are impacting a change and it makes me proud...and worried a little. Changes walk hand in hand with sacrifices. I mean I know it's a balance and frankly worry here from the states can just be an empty thing and is unproductive to boot. It's not us on the line. but since I haven't told you in while I really am so grateful and proud for what you do. traveling mercies on your patrols and missions and thank you so much for taking the time to post.

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 11/06/2007 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.